Lionel Messi cleared to play against Getafe in Cup
BARCELONA: Barcelona received a welcome boost on Tuesday when forward Lionel Messi was given the all-clear by medical staff and included in the squad for Wednesday`s King`s Cup last 16, first leg at home to Getafe.
The Argentine World Player of the Year has not featured for the Spanish league champions since straining his thigh on November 10, the latest in a series of muscle injuries that plagued him throughout 2013.
His return will give the team a lift as they prepare for Saturday`s La Liga game at title rivals Atletico Madrid who are level with Barca at the top on 49 points from 18 matches.
Coach Gerardo Martino did not reveal at a news conference whether Messi would feature against Getafe, the team he scored one of the greatest goals of his career against in a King`s Cup game in April 2007.
Receiving the ball just inside the Barca half, he dashed through the opposition defence and slotted into the net from a narrow angle, covering 55 metres in 12 seconds.
Many compared the goal to the brilliant effort compatriot Diego Maradona scored against England at the 1986 World Cup.
"If he plays tomorrow hopefully he will score another one just like it," said Martino with a smile.
"He came back (from Argentina) and has been working like any other member of the squad," added Martino who hails from Messi`s home town of Rosario.
"Obviously he is lacking a bit of playing time but seeing as we are talking about Leo it is not really an issue. He has told me he is feeling fine and that`s why he is in the squad."
Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets is available after he was suspended for Sunday`s 4-0 La Liga win at home to Elche but playmaker Xavi is rested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price