Lionel Messi named ambassador of his native town Rosario
Buenos Aires: Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi was named "Rosario`s ambassador in the world" during a ceremony in his native town, about 300 km from Buenos Aires.
"It`s very nice that tourists come to visit the place where I was born," said 24-year-old Messi, who`s currently visiting Argentina for the Christmas holidays. Messi said "it`s a great pride" to receive this distinction, reports Xinhua.
"I want to thank for this acknowledgement in Rosario, my home, the place where I was born, where my people and my family live and which certainly will be my place of residence when I retire from soccer," he said.
Rosario is currently fighting to host the 2019 Pan-American Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi