Lionel Messi named ambassador of his native town Rosario
Buenos Aires: Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi was named "Rosario`s ambassador in the world" during a ceremony in his native town, about 300 km from Buenos Aires.
"It`s very nice that tourists come to visit the place where I was born," said 24-year-old Messi, who`s currently visiting Argentina for the Christmas holidays. Messi said "it`s a great pride" to receive this distinction, reports Xinhua.
"I want to thank for this acknowledgement in Rosario, my home, the place where I was born, where my people and my family live and which certainly will be my place of residence when I retire from soccer," he said.
Rosario is currently fighting to host the 2019 Pan-American Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation