Lionel Messi wins Goal 50
Barcelona: Lionel Messi has won the Goal 50 award for the world’s best footballer after another record-breaking season.
The Argentinian forward claims the title for the third time in recognition of an incredible campaign during which he beat Gerd Muller’s 40-year-old record of 85 goals scored in a calendar year.
The 26-year old scored 91 goals in 2012 and increased his total as Barcelona’s all-time top scorer to 313 goals in all competitions by the end of the season.
Messi struck in his 19th consecutive La Liga game in March 2013, becoming the first footballer in history to score in consecutive matches against every team in a major professional league.
After receiving the trophy Messi said: "I`m very excited about this. As players, we work the entire year to win honours for the team, we don`t look for the individual awards, but when they come it`s an incentive and gives us strength to continue on the same path."
The Goal 50 is regarded as one of the most credible and respected awards in sport because it is chosen by the world’s biggest football website.
Voting takes place at the end of domestic and international seasons for the majority of countries.
More than 500 Goal journalists from around the world vote to select their top 50 players, giving a truly global view.
Messi heads this year`s list in front of second-placed Franck Ribery, who helped European champions Bayern Munich win an historic treble. Last year’s winner Cristiano Ronaldo is third.
Commenting on the results, Graham Shaw, Editorial Director, said: “Messi had a spectacular season and it is incredible to think he has achieved so much by the age of 26. His award this year takes him past Cristiano Ronaldo to a record three Goal 50 titles and recognises the individual brilliance of a player who is rightly recognised by some as the greatest of all time.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured