Lokomotiv Moscow give coach 10-day ultimatum
Moscow: Lokomotiv Moscow head coach Slaven Bilic has been given 10 days to draw up a plan to rescue the football team after leading it to its worst-ever Russian Premier League finish.
Bilic and team president Olga Smorodskaya presented a scheme to end the team`s decline at a board meeting Wednesday, but it was turned down and the duo was ordered to come back with another plan.
"The programme presented by the president of the team and the head coach for leaving the crisis situation has not been accepted," Lokomotiv said in a website statement. "The president of the team and the head coach have been mandated to rework the programme within 10 days and present it again to the board of directors."
Only then will a decision be taken whether or not to fire the pair, Lokomotiv said.
Bilic’s first year in charge of the Russian two-time champions ended with Lokomotiv finishing ninth, below the seventh-place result that cost Bilic`s predecessor Jose Couceiro his job last year.
Bilic, 44, has two years left on his contract. Some reports in Russia have indicated a large dismissal fee in the Croatian`s contract could dissuade Lokomotiv from firing him.
Smorodskaya has long been the target of protests from fans angry at the team`s poor performances and her controversial decision to allow rivals Anzhi Makhachkala to play some of their European games on Lokomotiv`s field.
Lokomotiv is owned by state firm Russian Railways, whose head Vladimir Yakunin expressed support for Bilic earlier this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened