Malaga third with win over Racing in La Liga
Madrid: Malaga moved into third place in the Spanish La Liga after a routine 3-0 victory at home against Racing Santander.
The result was rarely in doubt after the third minute when Racing found themselves down to 10 men after referee Del Cerro Grande sent off full back Francis Perez for dangerous play.
Former Valencia youngster Izco opened the scoring Monday after 21 minutes with a powerful shot from inside the visitors` penalty area.
Racing rarely threatened, but it was not until the 63rd minute until Malaga secured three points. This time it was Spain international Santi Cazorla who got on the scoresheet with a simple finish following good work from midfielder Enzo Maresca.
Ruud Van Nistelrooy rounded off the nights` scoring six minutes from time with a trademark header.
The win lifts Malaga above Valencia who Sunday drew 0-0 away to Real Madrid. Malaga`s next match is away to struggling Villarreal Thursday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal