Maracana unfit for playing, says Brazil keeper
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil international goalkeeper Jefferson has criticised the state of the Maracana stadium pitch, saying the venue for next year`s World Cup final is unfit for playing.
The 30-year-old Botafogo stopper, who started in Brazil`s 2-0 friendly victory over South Korea last Saturday, took aim at Maracana officials after his team`s 2-2 draw with Vasco da Gama in the Campeonato Brasileiro Sunday.
"We can`t play on a pitch like that," Jefferson said. "It was especially bad in the six-yard box."
"The people who look after the pitch need to review what they are doing. The Maracana deserves better."
Jefferson is not the only Brazil international to express concern at the state of the country`s World Cup pitches.
His Selecao teammate David Luiz denounced the playing surface of Brasilia`s Mane Garrincha stadium ahead of Brazil`s 6-0 friendly victory over Australia last month.
The Maracana and Mane Garrincha will each host seven World Cup matches, with the Maracana staging the tournament decider July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today
- Will Mika Singh's guest appearance on 'The Kapil Sharma Show' cost him 'Comedy Nights LIVE'?
- Bihar road rage: Manorama Devi's bail plea postponed
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Delhi wakes to cool morning after rain, thunderstorm bring down mercury