Maracana unfit for playing, says Brazil keeper
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil international goalkeeper Jefferson has criticised the state of the Maracana stadium pitch, saying the venue for next year`s World Cup final is unfit for playing.
The 30-year-old Botafogo stopper, who started in Brazil`s 2-0 friendly victory over South Korea last Saturday, took aim at Maracana officials after his team`s 2-2 draw with Vasco da Gama in the Campeonato Brasileiro Sunday.
"We can`t play on a pitch like that," Jefferson said. "It was especially bad in the six-yard box."
"The people who look after the pitch need to review what they are doing. The Maracana deserves better."
Jefferson is not the only Brazil international to express concern at the state of the country`s World Cup pitches.
His Selecao teammate David Luiz denounced the playing surface of Brasilia`s Mane Garrincha stadium ahead of Brazil`s 6-0 friendly victory over Australia last month.
The Maracana and Mane Garrincha will each host seven World Cup matches, with the Maracana staging the tournament decider July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan
- Bangladesh PM Hasina accuses BNP of being behind 2014 grenade attack
- Trains delayed after wire snaps on Delhi-Saharanpur route
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre launched in India at starting price of Rs 3.82 lakh
- PM Modi promises Centre's support to flood-hit states