Maradona wants to clear up tax position in Italy
Rome: Argentine soccer great Diego Maradona, still venerated in Italy as a sporting saint for leading Napoli to two league titles, wants to make peace with the country`s tax authorities.
"I have never been a tax evader. I have always paid all the taxes I was aware of," Maradona, 51, told Sky TG24 television from Dubai, where he is coach of United Arab Emirates side Al Wasl.
Italian tax authorities say Maradona owes some 38 million euros in unpaid taxes, according to media reports.
"I want to return to find peace with the tax man and with Italians. My desire is to return to Italy and embrace Neapolitans and all my friends who live in Italy. They made me lose 20 years, so many years of love (for Italians)," he said.
The report said Maradona, who led Napoli to Serie A title in 1987 and 1990, is seeking a deal to clear up his position.
"It is right to pay taxes but the tax authorities have to be human with the citizens," he said.
After quitting soccer in the 1990s, he battled drug addiction, obesity and alcohol abuse.
In January he underwent surgery in Dubai to have kidney stones removed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?