Marcos Rojo out of Argentina's opening World Cup qualifiers

 Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo will miss Argentina's opening 2018 World Cup qualifiers due to injury, the country's football association said on Monday.

IANS| Updated: Oct 06, 2015, 08:25 AM IST
Marcos Rojo out of Argentina's opening World Cup qualifiers

Buenos Aires: Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo will miss Argentina's opening 2018 World Cup qualifiers due to injury, the country's football association said on Monday.

The 25-year-old has not played since tearing a hamstring in United's 3-2 victory over Southampton on September 20, Xinhua news agency reported.

Captain Lionel Messi and midfielders Ever Banega and Enzo Perez had already been withdrawn from Argentina's squad due to injury.

"Marcos Rojo will not be part of the squad for the qualifying debut against Ecuador and Paraguay, as he is in the final phase of recovery from a grade 1 injury in his right hamstring," the Argentine Football Association said in a statement.

Gerardo Martino's team will host Ecuador in Buenos Aires on Thursday before an away clash against Paraguay in Asuncion five days later.