Messi, Ronaldo scored more, but I won the treble - Ribery
Munich: Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery has suggested that his treble success gives him the advantage over Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for Uefa`s Player of the Year award.
On August 29, during the Champions League group stage draw, one of the trio will be crowned the best player in Europe for the 2012-13 season.
Although Ronaldo impressed with his individual displays for Real Madrid and Messi broke numerous goal records en route to another Barcelona triumph in La Liga, the Frenchman believes his trophy haul last campaign boosts his chances of winning the award but criticised the absence of team-mate Thomas Muller as a frontrunner.
"My level was at the very top all season long, I`ve always been in shape and won everything that could be won," the 30-year-old told Sport Bild. "There are compelling arguments [in my favour].
"There are other top Bayern players missing from the nominees. Thomas Muller would have deserved to be among the finalists. It`s a shame because he also had a great season.
"Messi and Cristiano have scored more goals than me, but I took the treble and, in these awards, titles are always important."
Ribery also spoke about how he chose not to join Barcelona five years ago, which he claims made Pep Guardiola`s arrival at the Allianz Arena this summer all the more sweeter.
"In the 2008-09 season, I attempted to join [Eric] Abidal at Barca," he added. "It crossed my mind, but I had a contract here.
"I was fascinated by Pep Guardiola because, not only is he a great coach, he`s a great person. So I was delighted when he signed for Bayern."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video