Messi targets Raul`s Champions League record
Madrid: The prolific attacker is keen to add his name to the record books by overtaking the Real Madrid legend on 71 goals but added that success with Barca remains his top priority
Barcelona attacker Lionel Messi has targeted breaking Real Madrid icon Raul`s Champions League goalscoring record but added that winning trophies remains his main objective.
The Argentina international netted a hat-trick in Barcelona`s 4-0 Champions League win over Ajax on Wednesday to take his tally to 62, leaving him just nine shy of Raul`s haul of 71.
"The idea of overtaking Raul at the top of the all-time Champions League scoring charts is a fine challenge," Messi was quoted as saying on the official Uefa website.
"It is not essential, though. We, as a team, have other more important objectives. For example, to get as far as we are capable of in this competition. To try to win it again.
"Obviously I am pleased that my hat-trick makes it 62 Champions League goals but above that is the result and how our team played.
"Whether the right number of goals come for me this season or not is less important."
Messi will be looking to add to his tally on matchday two when Barca travel to Celtic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise