Mohun Bagan beat United Sikkim by solitary goal in IFA Shield
Kolkata: Looking for their elusive trophy, Mohun Bagan started their IFA Shield campaign on a positive note beating United Sikkim FC 1-0 in their opening group league encounter here on Sunday.
Kerala lad CS Sabeeth converted a flag-kick from statemate Denson Devadas in the 27th minute to help the green and maroon brigade log home full points.
In the match otherwise dominated by Mohun Bagan, the hosts had got another opportunity to buttress the lead in the 85th minute from a penalty, but the opportunity was missed by midfielder Zakir.
In the 37th minute, Japanese livewire Katsumi Yusa also took a powerful shot but it missed the net and hit the post.
Despite the absence of star striker Odafa and goalie Shilton Paul, Bangan were in control all through the match.
United Sikkim had got one opportunity in the 42nd minute to bring parity but the shot of Sukhwinder Singh was saved by Bagan goalie Manatosh Ghosh.
Katsumi was adjudged the Man-of-the-Match for being the driver in the attack and playing effectively in both in the defence and offence.
While Bagan thus earned three points from one outing, the Sikkim outfit are yet to log home a point having fielded an unregistered player in their drawn game against Mohammedan Sporting.
Mohammedan Sporting got also three points from two matches by dint of Sikkim Football Club missing their points, which were awarded to them.
Mohun Bagan had their first outing against Bangladesh`s Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club but because of delayed arrival of the team, the match has been rescheduled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief