Mohun Bagan crash out of Federation Cup
Pune: Former champions Mohun Bagan on Monday crashed out of Federation Cup football tournament after they suffered a shock 1-3 defeat at the hands of Shillong Lajong FC in a group match here.
Bagan had lost 1-2 to Royal Wahingdoh in their earlier Group A match on Saturday.
Lajong surged into the lead in the 45th minute through Lalhimthara only for Odafa Okolie to restore parity in the 58th minute.
Johnny Meyongar put Lajong 2-1 ahead in the 74th minute and then James Gbilee completed the rout in the 81st minute at the Balewadi Sports Complex.
Lajong stay on 3 points from two matches while Bagan are yet to open their account.
Bagan, despite all the hype and glamour, never looked threatening. Odafa Okolie lacked the speed and thrust that has made him the highest paid footballer of the country.
Sunil Chhetri was restricted to the bench and Anwar Ali and Rakesh Masih, the two side-backs in the three-man defence couldn`t fall back in time to cut off the scuttle of crosses from the flanks.
The pace and stamina of the Lajong players exposed the Bagan mid-field.
Lajong used the flanks to great effect. In sharp contrast, Bagan`s right flank stayed non-existent while the Rahim Nabi on the left couldn`t penetrate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma