Mohun Bagan crash out of Federation Cup
Pune: Former champions Mohun Bagan on Monday crashed out of Federation Cup football tournament after they suffered a shock 1-3 defeat at the hands of Shillong Lajong FC in a group match here.
Bagan had lost 1-2 to Royal Wahingdoh in their earlier Group A match on Saturday.
Lajong surged into the lead in the 45th minute through Lalhimthara only for Odafa Okolie to restore parity in the 58th minute.
Johnny Meyongar put Lajong 2-1 ahead in the 74th minute and then James Gbilee completed the rout in the 81st minute at the Balewadi Sports Complex.
Lajong stay on 3 points from two matches while Bagan are yet to open their account.
Bagan, despite all the hype and glamour, never looked threatening. Odafa Okolie lacked the speed and thrust that has made him the highest paid footballer of the country.
Sunil Chhetri was restricted to the bench and Anwar Ali and Rakesh Masih, the two side-backs in the three-man defence couldn`t fall back in time to cut off the scuttle of crosses from the flanks.
The pace and stamina of the Lajong players exposed the Bagan mid-field.
Lajong used the flanks to great effect. In sharp contrast, Bagan`s right flank stayed non-existent while the Rahim Nabi on the left couldn`t penetrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble