Nassiri advocates for revival of old tournaments
Jamshedpur: Former footballer Jamshed Nassiri strongly advocated for revival of the tournaments which are not being organised while reducing the duration of the I-League to excel Indian football performance at Asian level.
Nassiri, who was in the steel city to kick off the Jamshedpur Football League at Gopal maidan here yesterday, said I-league was not doing good for Indian football even though 12 to 14 teams remained engaged playing the tournament for around nine month in a year.
"If the old tournaments such as Rovers Cup or some other tournaments like the IFA Shield be organized properly, it would provide more opportunities to footballers to sharpen their skill and could play against more teams," Nassiri said.
"Even the lone National championship Santosh Trophy was fast losing its sheen due to lack of interest of the concerned authorities as well as the players playing big professional clubs," he observed.
Nassiri, who had represented all the three Kolkata-based football club?East Bengal, Mohun Bagan and Md Sporting during 1970-80s and currently engaged in Youth Development programme, strongly advocated for tapping young talents in the age group of 7/8 years and needed them to groom properly for similar period to develop them to perform at International arena.
Nassiri expressed confidence that India would retain a respectable position in Asia in a decade time, had we take the initiative, he opined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Unlikely sporting star Chris Froome wins third Tour de France, seals place amongst greats
- One dead, two injured in Germany machete attack: Police
- Shoulder injury forces Serena Williams out of Montreal
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Hosts lead by 489 at 3rd day close
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces