Nassiri advocates for revival of old tournaments
Jamshedpur: Former footballer Jamshed Nassiri strongly advocated for revival of the tournaments which are not being organised while reducing the duration of the I-League to excel Indian football performance at Asian level.
Nassiri, who was in the steel city to kick off the Jamshedpur Football League at Gopal maidan here yesterday, said I-league was not doing good for Indian football even though 12 to 14 teams remained engaged playing the tournament for around nine month in a year.
"If the old tournaments such as Rovers Cup or some other tournaments like the IFA Shield be organized properly, it would provide more opportunities to footballers to sharpen their skill and could play against more teams," Nassiri said.
"Even the lone National championship Santosh Trophy was fast losing its sheen due to lack of interest of the concerned authorities as well as the players playing big professional clubs," he observed.
Nassiri, who had represented all the three Kolkata-based football club?East Bengal, Mohun Bagan and Md Sporting during 1970-80s and currently engaged in Youth Development programme, strongly advocated for tapping young talents in the age group of 7/8 years and needed them to groom properly for similar period to develop them to perform at International arena.
Nassiri expressed confidence that India would retain a respectable position in Asia in a decade time, had we take the initiative, he opined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing