Not obeying Capello`s orders cost Walcott a place in WC squad
London: Not obeying England coach Fabio Capello`s orders cost Arsenal winger Theo Walcott a place in the team`s World Cup squad.
He paid the price for failing to carry out instructions to stay out wide in the last two friendly games.
Capello kept telling Walcott he had to stay out wide on the right and try to beat his man on the outside, instead of coming inside all the time.
But Walcott kept drifting in-field, much to the frustration of Capello, who snapped when he went over a recording of England`s 3-1 win against Mexico, The Sun reports.
"The manager gave Theo an ear-bashing in front of us all - but the message wasn`t getting through," the paper quoted a source, as saying.
Capello was also not impressed by Walcott`s displays in training.
His replacement, Shaun Wright-Phillips, had a fine second half while Joe Cole occupied the right flank later on against Japan.
Capello will be hoping his faith in the fitness of one of Walcott`s wing rivals, Aaron Lennon, is not misplaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh