Oman thrash India 5-1 in an international friendly
Muscat: A depleted India suffered a 1-5 thrashing at the hands of Oman in an international football friendly match, on Thursday.
India fielded youngsters Gurjinder Singh and Lester Fernandes in the defence and midfield respectively and also were without the strike duo of Sunil Chhetri and Jeje
The absence of the some established players showed as India were clueless in the midfield and attack while the defence was caught napping several times.
Al-Ghassani Mohammed (fifth minute), Ismail Al Ajmi (7th and 58th), Hasan Rabie (87th) and Abdullah Thuwaini (90th) scored for Oman while Joaquim Abranches found the target for India in the 64th minute at the Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex
India, who were led by Samir Naik, never recovered after conceding two early goals and they got very few scoring chances in the match most part of which were dominated by the home who were ranked 59 places above the visitors at 95.
As early as the fifth minute, the Indian defence failed to clear a Saad Suhail cross from the right and Al-Ghassani jumped higher than four blue shirts to nod home comfortably.
Two minutes later, India were down 0-2 with goalkeeper Karanjit Singh beaten fair and square by a powerful left-footer by Ismail Al Ajmi from top left side of the box.
India looked like coming into their own terms towards the close of the opening session with some good moves inside the Omani box but Savio Medeira`s boys failed to have a clear look at the opposition goal.
Oman began the second half looking to kill the match with another goal and they did it with Al Ajmi bagging his second of the evening after a great run-in by Juma Darwish.
At the hour mark, Savio Medeira brought in Syed Rahim Nabi in place of Anthony Pereira and that move added a bit of vitality to the side. Nabi fed Abraches to pull one back for India in the 64th minte.
India conceded two quick goals in the dying moments of the match with Hasan Rabie and Abdullah Thuwaini punishing a demoralised Indians with a strike each in the 87th and 90th minutes.
The match was part of preparation for India`s participation in the AFC Challenge Cup foom March 8-19 in Nepal.
India Squad: Karanjit Singh; Samir Naik, Anwar Ali, Gourmangi Singh, Gurjinder Singh, Anthony Pereira (Syed Rahim Nabi 60th), Baldeep Singh Jr (Lenny Rodrigues 50th minute), Lester Fernandes (Francis Fernandes 56th), Jewel Raja; Sushil Singh (Manandeep Singh 80th), Joaquim Abranches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections