ONGC confident ahead of USFC clash
New Delhi: A confident ONGC will take on United Sikkim, who would look to wriggle of the relegation zone, when they face off in a crucial 12th round I-League encounter here on Sunday.
ONGC`s new coach Santosh Kashyap is not willing to read too much into his side`s resounding 3-0 win over Shillong Lajong in the last round.
"Our aim is to finish in the top half of the table, maybe 7th. So we should not bask in the glory of one emphatic win for too long. The win definitely boosted our confidence. But we consistently need to perform at that level," Kashyap said on Saturday.
While the win helped ONGC leapfrog to the 11th position with 11 points, USFC remained in the drop zone with eight in their kitty after failing to turn the tide against Mumbai FC in spite of appointing a new coach.
But club chairman and former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia can still hope for a positive result as Sikkim`s performance was encouraging against Mumbai FC.
And if ONGC midfielder Eric Brown -- nursing an ankle injury -- is ruled out for the game, the visitors` chances will be enhanced.
The Nigerian was the wrecker in chief along with Yusa Katsumi in the previous game. Kashyap though, is hopeful that the striker will be available for selection.
"It`s true that he is down with an ankle injury at the moment but I expect him to be fit for Saturday. We will take a call after assessing his state before the match," Kashyap confirmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media