ONGC confident ahead of USFC clash
New Delhi: A confident ONGC will take on United Sikkim, who would look to wriggle of the relegation zone, when they face off in a crucial 12th round I-League encounter here on Sunday.
ONGC`s new coach Santosh Kashyap is not willing to read too much into his side`s resounding 3-0 win over Shillong Lajong in the last round.
"Our aim is to finish in the top half of the table, maybe 7th. So we should not bask in the glory of one emphatic win for too long. The win definitely boosted our confidence. But we consistently need to perform at that level," Kashyap said on Saturday.
While the win helped ONGC leapfrog to the 11th position with 11 points, USFC remained in the drop zone with eight in their kitty after failing to turn the tide against Mumbai FC in spite of appointing a new coach.
But club chairman and former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia can still hope for a positive result as Sikkim`s performance was encouraging against Mumbai FC.
And if ONGC midfielder Eric Brown -- nursing an ankle injury -- is ruled out for the game, the visitors` chances will be enhanced.
The Nigerian was the wrecker in chief along with Yusa Katsumi in the previous game. Kashyap though, is hopeful that the striker will be available for selection.
"It`s true that he is down with an ankle injury at the moment but I expect him to be fit for Saturday. We will take a call after assessing his state before the match," Kashyap confirmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?