Pele returns to Cosmos for degree and ceremony
New York: Brazilian football legend Pele will return to the New York Cosmos in April for a championship celebration and to accept an honorary degree for humanitarian work, the team said Tuesday.
The 73-year-old icon inspired Brazil to World Cup glory in 1958, 1962 and 1970, then played for the original Cosmos from 1975 through 1977, winning the title in his final season and sparking an American surge in football interest.
The Cosmos were revived last year and won a title in the second-tier North American Soccer League, a level below Major League Soccer.
Pele will join the Cosmos in celebrating that title at a pre-game ceremony on April 13 in the team`s opening match of the 2014 campaign at Hofstra University`s Shuart Stadium against Atlanta in a rematch of last year`s championship final.
Pele, FIFA`s "Player of the 20th Century", also will be awarded an honorary degree from Hofstra for humanitarian efforts and his contributions to sport as well as serve as a special guest to the college`s conference on the historical, political and economic impact of football April 10-13.
"Pele transformed and transcended the game," said Hofstra University president Stuart Rabinowitz.
"While the world first came to know him for extraordinary athletic feats, his soccer career was, in many respects, simply a prelude to an extraordinary life of service as a philanthropist and advocate.
"He understands the power and responsibility his soccer legacy carries, and has used it to improve the lives of others."
Pele has served as a United Nations ambassador for environmental and ecological causes and was honoured by his homeland for helping develop anti-corruption legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured