Portugal choose Campinas as World Cup base
Rio de Janeiro: Portugal`s football federation (FPF) has chosen the city of Campinas in southeastern Brazil as the national team`s 2014 World Cup base.
Paulo Bento`s squad will stay at The Palms hotel, 10 km from the city`s international airport, Xinhua cited from a statement by the FPF Tuesday.
The team`s training base will be the headquarters of Brazilian Serie B outfit Ponte Preta in the neighbourhood of Jardim Eulina.
"One of the characteristics that affected the decision was the proximity to the airport which will considerably reduce land travel," FPF said in the statement.
Located in the state of Sao Paulo, Campinas has a population of over one million people and is renowned for the University of Campinas, ranked among the best in Latin America.
Portugal has been drawn in the World Cup`s Group G with Germany, the US and Ghana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on