PSG win was a crucial step towards title: Ancelotti
Paris: Paris Saint-Germain boss Carlo Ancelotti has labelled his side’s battling 1-0 victory over Troyes as a crucial step towards winning this season’s Ligue 1 title.
Blaise Matuidi struck a 65th-minute winner to earn three workmanlike points for the capital club, who now sit 10 points clear of Olympique de Marseille at the top of the table having played a game more.
Ancelotti admitted the performance had been below-par from his players but insisted the result was a significant step in their bid to become French champions for the first time since 1994.
“It is a very important victory,” Ancelotti was quoted as saying by the club`s official website. “With six games remaining it is another step towards the title.
"Only the result counts for us because that performance cannot really provide satisfaction.
“Sometimes the most important thing is just to win. Especially after the Champions League game [against Barcelona], we had very little time for physical recovery.
“It was therefore vital to take three points for the rest of the season.”
Troyes coach Jean-Marc Furlan said his side’s failure to score in the opening stages of the match eventually proved decisive in defeat.
"I`m disappointed for my players,” he said. "I regret that we didn`t score in the first half."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row