Pune FC seek first continental win in AFC Cup
Singapore: Pune FC are keen to log their first win on the continental stage when they face Singapore champions Tampines Rovers FC in an AFC Cup Round-3 football encounter at the Jalan Besar Stadium here Wednesday.
Two draws in the opening two rounds make this Group H tie important for third-placed Pune (2 points) as qualification to the next round beckons at this turn-off stage of the competition.
However, the game on the morrow will not be an easy one for Pune as Tampines are yet to open their account in Group-H and will look to bounce back after two consecutive losses in the previous rounds. The losses were to Kitchee SC (0-5) at home and to Nay Pyi Taw FC (3-1) away.
Tampines, who have won the domestic title for the last three years in a row, are making their fourth consecutive and seventh overall appearance in the AFC Cup (2005-07 and 2011-13) with their best ever finish being reaching the quarter-finals in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
Nonetheless, Pune coach Mike Snoei is confident going into the game after his side held Kitchee to a draw despite going two goals down in the first half itself in their first ever overseas game.
The Dutchman was however wary of the artificial turf and speaking at the pre-match press conference, he said, “In India it is 50-50; some of the teams in the I-League play on this surface but we play on natural grass, so it is very different for us. But like everything in Singapore, the quality is fantastic and we are looking forward to it.”
On the opponents, Snoei said, “We were present at the weekend game that featured Tampines Rovers. We’ve seen them play and made our assessments. We are ready for them.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read