Qaeda militant `planned World Cup attack from Iraq`

Updated: May 17, 2010, 21:53 PM IST

Baghdad: A senior member of Al-Qaeda in
Iraq who was arrested two weeks ago had been planning an
attack against the football World Cup in South Africa next
month, an Iraqi security spokesman said.

Abdullah Azzam Saleh Misfar al-Qahtani, a 30-year-old
Saudi, "participated in the planning of a terrorist act in
South Africa during the World Cup," said Baghdad security
spokesman Major General Qassim Atta.

He added that Qahtani, who was in charge of
"security" for the terror network in Baghdad, was in contact
"with the terrorist Ayman al-Zawahiri to organise the plan
hatched by Al-Qaeda."

Zawahiri is Al-Qaeda`s number two and deputy to Osama
bin Laden. Atta declined to give further details on the plan
or comment on how the information was obtained.

Bureau Report

Tags: