Real Madrid, Barcelona in same half of Copa del Rey draw
Madrid: Football giants Real Madrid and Barcelona have ended up in the same half of the draw for the third round of the Spanish Copa del Rey tournament.
The draw not only decided which sides would meet in the third round, but also decided who the sides that make progress will meet on their way to the final.
Reigning holders FC Barcelona will play Basque Segunda B (third tier) side Deportivo Alaves, while last season`s beaten finalists Athletic Club Bilbao will play Eibar, another team from the third tier.
Real Madrid will face Alcoyano, who were relegated from the Spanish second division last season. Should Madrid progress they will face either Celta or Almeria in the last 16.
One key factor about the draw is that Barcelona, Valencia, Athletic Bilbao and Real Madrid are all in the same side of the draw, meaning a cup final between Barca and Madrid is impossible as the two sides would meet in the semi-final should they progress through the three previous rounds.
If results go as expected, Barcelona would meet Athletic or Malaga in the quarterfinals, while Real Madrid would take on Valencia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened