Record 86 for Messi as Barca beat Betis
Madrid: Lionel Messi made history as he set a new record for the number of goals scored in a calendar year - 86 - netting twice in his side`s 2-1 away win to Betis.
Messi`s goal in the 15th minute of the game levelled the record of 85 goals in a year set by German striker Gerd Muller in 1972 and his second strike 10 minutes later took him to 86 goals in all competitions for 2012, reports Xinhua.
The Argentinean`s first goal came following a typical run past a host of Betis defenders followed by a left foot shot into the bottom corner of the Betis net.
The second, and record breaking strike, arrived after good work from Andres Iniesta left the Barca forward with a lot of space.
Messi also hit the Betis post in the closing minutes, it would have saved his side some nerves, but the points were for Barca and the record for their talisman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?