Record 86 for Messi as Barca beat Betis
Madrid: Lionel Messi made history as he set a new record for the number of goals scored in a calendar year - 86 - netting twice in his side`s 2-1 away win to Betis.
Messi`s goal in the 15th minute of the game levelled the record of 85 goals in a year set by German striker Gerd Muller in 1972 and his second strike 10 minutes later took him to 86 goals in all competitions for 2012, reports Xinhua.
The Argentinean`s first goal came following a typical run past a host of Betis defenders followed by a left foot shot into the bottom corner of the Betis net.
The second, and record breaking strike, arrived after good work from Andres Iniesta left the Barca forward with a lot of space.
Messi also hit the Betis post in the closing minutes, it would have saved his side some nerves, but the points were for Barca and the record for their talisman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof