Record 86 for Messi as Barca beat Betis
Madrid: Lionel Messi made history as he set a new record for the number of goals scored in a calendar year - 86 - netting twice in his side`s 2-1 away win to Betis.
Messi`s goal in the 15th minute of the game levelled the record of 85 goals in a year set by German striker Gerd Muller in 1972 and his second strike 10 minutes later took him to 86 goals in all competitions for 2012, reports Xinhua.
The Argentinean`s first goal came following a typical run past a host of Betis defenders followed by a left foot shot into the bottom corner of the Betis net.
The second, and record breaking strike, arrived after good work from Andres Iniesta left the Barca forward with a lot of space.
Messi also hit the Betis post in the closing minutes, it would have saved his side some nerves, but the points were for Barca and the record for their talisman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him