Roma beat Genoa to close in on third
Rome: AS Roma moved four points behind third-placed Lazio in Serie A`s Champions League qualifying spot after Pablo Osvaldo`s early goal secured a 1-0 win over Genoa on Monday.
City rivals Lazio lost 1-0 at Catania on Sunday as Udinese and Napoli drew 2-2, opening the door for Luis Enrique`s inconsistent sixth-placed side to and make a late dash for third place with 10 games left in the season.
Striker Osvaldo, starting in place of the injured Francesco Totti, converted Leandro Greco`s pass after three minutes as Roma dominated at the Stadio Olimpico. Rodrigo Palacio hit the bar for 14th-placed Genoa when it looked easier to score.
U.S.-owned Roma, who on Monday signed a deal to train at Disney World during the next pre-season, now have their eyes fixed on the Magic Kingdom of the Champions League having spent big this term building a new team which has not always gelled.
Leaders AC Milan and second-placed Juventus look all but assured of automatic entry into Europe`s top club competition next season but Serie A`s race for third spot and the qualifying round berth could go to the wire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says