Ronaldinho dazzles despite abuse from opposing fans
Rio de Janeiro: Ronaldinho`s Atletico Mineiro moved to the top of Brazil`s Serie A championship after an emotion-charged 1-0 away victory over Gremio.
The two-time FIFA World Player of the Year was the target of constant abuse from fans of his former club, where he played from 1998 to 2001 before moving to Europe.
Despite the cold reception at the Olimpico Stadium, the former Barcelona and AC Milan star continued his impressive form with an array of trademark dribbles and deft one-touch passes.
The winning goal came from the boot of striker Jo, who connected with Bernard`s 25th-minute cross before firing past goalkeeper Marcelo Grohe Sunday.
Ronaldinho`s teammate Leandro Donizete criticized Gremio fans for their treatment of the 2002 World Cup winner during the match.
"The abuse didn`t stop throughout the entire match and it upset him," Donizete said. We dedicate the victory to him today."
After the match, an emotional Ronaldinho is reported to have shouted in the players` tunnel, within earshot of his former team`s dressing room, "It seems strangely quiet here now, doesn`t it?"
Atletico are now the championship leader with 16 points from seven games, the same as Vasco da Gama but with a superior goal difference.
Gremio, coached by former Real Madrid and Brazil manager Vanderlei Luxemburgo, are in fifth place with 12 points from seven games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why