Ronaldinho dazzles despite abuse from opposing fans
Rio de Janeiro: Ronaldinho`s Atletico Mineiro moved to the top of Brazil`s Serie A championship after an emotion-charged 1-0 away victory over Gremio.
The two-time FIFA World Player of the Year was the target of constant abuse from fans of his former club, where he played from 1998 to 2001 before moving to Europe.
Despite the cold reception at the Olimpico Stadium, the former Barcelona and AC Milan star continued his impressive form with an array of trademark dribbles and deft one-touch passes.
The winning goal came from the boot of striker Jo, who connected with Bernard`s 25th-minute cross before firing past goalkeeper Marcelo Grohe Sunday.
Ronaldinho`s teammate Leandro Donizete criticized Gremio fans for their treatment of the 2002 World Cup winner during the match.
"The abuse didn`t stop throughout the entire match and it upset him," Donizete said. We dedicate the victory to him today."
After the match, an emotional Ronaldinho is reported to have shouted in the players` tunnel, within earshot of his former team`s dressing room, "It seems strangely quiet here now, doesn`t it?"
Atletico are now the championship leader with 16 points from seven games, the same as Vasco da Gama but with a superior goal difference.
Gremio, coached by former Real Madrid and Brazil manager Vanderlei Luxemburgo, are in fifth place with 12 points from seven games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what