Ronaldo can`t handle criticism: Mourinho
London: The flamboyant coach has hit out at the Real Madrid star`s attitude and has downplayed his supposed falling-out with Pepe.
Jose Mourinho has taken a swipe at Cristiano Ronaldo in the wake of his Real Madrid exit, suggesting the prolific attacker cannot deal with criticism.
The Portugal international had a bust-up with his coach earlier this season after Madrid`s 2-0 Copa del Rey win over Valencia and Mourinho has admitted the forward did not take kindly to his comments.
"Ronaldo has had three fantastic seasons with me. We found a tactical set-up where he got the best out of himself and scored a lot of goals. I had one problem with him, though," said Mourinho.
"When I criticised him from a tactical point of view because I felt he could still improve, he did not accept what I had to say.
"That might be because he thinks he already knows everything and the coach cannot help him grow anymore..."
Mourinho also endured a highly-publicised spat with Pepe during the final stages of his tenure at Santiago Bernabeu, but he insists his compatriot has garnered more support at the club as a result of the dispute.
"I don`t know whether Pepe betrayed me. Everybody wanted him out at Madrid, yet I kept him on board," Mourinho continued.
"But he picked up an injury and Raphael Varane did a fine job during his absence. He deserved to play and Pepe didn`t adapt well to the new situation.
"All those who called him a murderer before now supported him. I`m happy that he gets that support now. It`s great for him and Madrid need players like him."
Mourinho left Madrid at the end of the 2012-13 campaign to return to Chelsea, where he was presented on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth