Rooney`s brother named in MLS trials
Miami: John Rooney, younger brother of England and Manchester United forward Wayne, will take part in trials for Major League Soccer from Saturday, aiming to find a deal alongside David Beckham in the North American league.
Rooney was listed among the foreign guest players in the annual MLS Combine -- four days of trial matches largely involving college players looking to enter the MLS draft, which allocates players to clubs, later in January.
Like his more famous brother, the 20-year-old Rooney started his career in the youth system at Everton but made his professional debut for lower division club Macclesfield Town.
The attacking midfielder had trained with MLS teams Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers during the autumn of 2010 and will now come under the eye of scouts at the combine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from Friday.
The combine will also feature players from Uruguay, Ecuador, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand and Argentina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why