Rooney`s brother named in MLS trials
Miami: John Rooney, younger brother of England and Manchester United forward Wayne, will take part in trials for Major League Soccer from Saturday, aiming to find a deal alongside David Beckham in the North American league.
Rooney was listed among the foreign guest players in the annual MLS Combine -- four days of trial matches largely involving college players looking to enter the MLS draft, which allocates players to clubs, later in January.
Like his more famous brother, the 20-year-old Rooney started his career in the youth system at Everton but made his professional debut for lower division club Macclesfield Town.
The attacking midfielder had trained with MLS teams Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers during the autumn of 2010 and will now come under the eye of scouts at the combine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from Friday.
The combine will also feature players from Uruguay, Ecuador, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand and Argentina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred