Rural boys of Rurka Kalan win Street Child World Cup in SA
Jalandhar: Young boys in remote Rurka
Kalan village got a taste of international football recently
when they won the Street Child World Cup there.
Rurka Kalan Football Club run by the Youth Football Club
(YFC) of the village got an opportunity to participate in the
tournament from March 15 to 21. The tournament had eight teams
participating -- Philippines, South Africa, Tanzania, Brazil,
Nicaragua, United Kingdom, Ukraine and India.
Rurka Kalan boys beat South Africa 4-0 followed by 8-0
win over Ukraine and 3-1 over England to reach final in which
the YFC edged out Tanzania by 1-0, Gurmangal Das Soni,
President of the YFC, told reporters.
The tournament, which was organised by Amos Trust, UK,
was held to highlight the issues faced by people from deprived
corners of the world, he said, adding that YFC`s team took
part in it because of its collaboration with Khalsa Football
Academy of UK.
Asked how the idea of forming a football club conceived
by him, Soni said, "In free time, we used to play in the
village ground and assessing the enthusiasm of the boys
towards the game, I finally took a decision to convert in into
"Now, there are about 200 boys in the academy and we have
already produced 15 top national players including Indian
national team defender Anwar Ali," Soni said.
Regarding the fund to run the Academy, which also has a
hostel, he said total annual budget was about Rs 24 lakh,
which was being collected through donations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people