Rural boys of Rurka Kalan win Street Child World Cup in SA
Jalandhar: Young boys in remote Rurka
Kalan village got a taste of international football recently
when they won the Street Child World Cup there.
Rurka Kalan Football Club run by the Youth Football Club
(YFC) of the village got an opportunity to participate in the
tournament from March 15 to 21. The tournament had eight teams
participating -- Philippines, South Africa, Tanzania, Brazil,
Nicaragua, United Kingdom, Ukraine and India.
Rurka Kalan boys beat South Africa 4-0 followed by 8-0
win over Ukraine and 3-1 over England to reach final in which
the YFC edged out Tanzania by 1-0, Gurmangal Das Soni,
President of the YFC, told reporters.
The tournament, which was organised by Amos Trust, UK,
was held to highlight the issues faced by people from deprived
corners of the world, he said, adding that YFC`s team took
part in it because of its collaboration with Khalsa Football
Academy of UK.
Asked how the idea of forming a football club conceived
by him, Soni said, "In free time, we used to play in the
village ground and assessing the enthusiasm of the boys
towards the game, I finally took a decision to convert in into
"Now, there are about 200 boys in the academy and we have
already produced 15 top national players including Indian
national team defender Anwar Ali," Soni said.
Regarding the fund to run the Academy, which also has a
hostel, he said total annual budget was about Rs 24 lakh,
which was being collected through donations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Merkel in no hurry for Britain to trigger EU exit process
- Lalchand Rajput appointed as the coach of Afghanistan cricket team
- Subramanian Swamy makes explosive claims, says Kejriwal didn't get rank in IIT, Sonia wanted Emergency in 2012
- I'm going nowhere, says UK opposition leader Corbyn
- Shocking! 13-year-old girl raped, set ablaze in Rajasthan