Russia 2018 plans ahead of Brazil 2014: Blatter
St. Petersburg: Russia is already better prepared to host the 2018 World Cup than Brazil, which will stage the 32-team soccer extravaganza in 2014, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Friday.
"I can tell you that we are far, far advanced (in Russia). Even, I would say, we have more problems actually in Brazil than...here," Blatter told a news conference.
Blatter said last month that the South American country still had problems with airports, roads and public transport.
Later on Friday, Blatter backtracked, saying he had received an encouraging report from FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke about progress in Brazil`s preparations for the 2014 finals.
"I received a very encouraging report from FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke after his visit to Brazil this week. In this context, I would like to reiterate we are convinced Brazil will organise a fantastic FIFA World Cup 2014 on schedule," a FIFA statement in Portuguese quoted Blatter as saying.
"In my comment earlier in Russia -- which led to some misunderstandings -- I was referring to the excellent preparations in Russia up to the moment, since they are ahead of schedule for the FIFA World Cup 2018," he said.
"Regarding Brazil, I am very satisfied with the strong commitment in the last few days by the Brazilian government under the leadership of Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo and I am anxious for us to continue on our walk together towards 2014."
Russia won the right to stage the sports` biggest event for the first time when it beat England and joint bids from Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands in December 2010.
Blatter and UEFA chief Michel Platini were visiting St Petersburg to celebrate the centenary of the Russian Football Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you