Sami Khedira surgery a success, Germany upbeat on World Cup
Madrid: Germany and Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira has had successful surgery on torn knee ligaments and he may be available for the World Cup, according to Germany team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt.
"The operation went well," Mueller-Wohlfahrt said on the German soccer federation website (www.dfb.de).
"Now we hope that Sami will be back to fitness for the World Cup in Brazil (starting in June)," he added.
Real confirmed the success of the surgery, which took place under the supervision of club doctors at a clinic in Augsburg, Germany on Saturday.
"Over the next three weeks the player will follow a specific recovery plan so the injured ligaments heal correctly," the Spanish club said on their website (www.realmadrid.com).
Khedira is expected to be out for around six months after damaging the knee in Friday`s 1-1 draw with Italy.
Germany coach Joachim Loew said it was a "bitter setback" but that he was optimistic he would recover in time to feature at the finals in Brazil.
Khedira`s enforced absence is a blow for Real, who have only just got his midfield partner Xabi Alonso back after a five-month injury layoff.
Alonso suffered a bruised ankle in Spain`s 2-1 win in a friendly against Equatorial Guinea on Saturday but coach Vicente del Bosque said it was nothing serious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- HEINOUS: 30-year-old man rapes 4-year-old; DCW chief asks 'when will Delhi be rape free'
- Vijay Mallya's loan default case: DRT to resume hearing on UBHL's plea countering banks
- German bar attacker Syrian, had psychiatric problems
- SHOCKING: When Narsingh Yadav was caught cheating in a Maharashtra police exam!
- Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya, says DCW chief as 14-year-old Dalit rape victim dies