Santosh Kashyap resigns from post of Mohun Bagan coach
Kolkata: Mohun Bagan`s merry-go-round with their coaches continued for yet another season with Santosh Kashyap today becoming the latest victim after their string of poor shows.
In a press statement, Mohun Bagan today announced that the chief coach had taken the responsibility of the team`s below average performance and resigned.
"His letter has been duly accepted by the club," it added.
For a team that has seen more than half a dozen coaches in last three seasons, Kashyap`s ouster was seen imminent especially after their early Federation Cup ouster and back to back losses to start the sixth I-League
But the sudden decision three days ahead of the All Airlines Gold Cup final against Mohammadan Sporting seemed a trifle baffling.
The Mohun Bagan coach, in fact, put up a brave face in yesterday`s post-match conference and had said, "I`m still waiting for my first win... But I`m sure this team will spring back into action once we get a win."
He also had opted not to comment when asked about his future at Mohun Bagan.
In fact, it was a repeat of last season in the Mohun Bagan camp as it was exactly a year ago, their high profile Englishman coach Steve Darby had tendered his resignation following their Federation Cup elimination.
Meanwhile, a couple of foreign coaches names like Dacid Booth and former Mohun Bagan player Igor Shkvyrin are doing rounds, especially after the fans angry protests after their 1-2 loss to United SC on Friday.
The disgruntled fans, armed with paper missiles and empty bottles, called for Kashyap's ouster and even attacked all the vehicles coming out of Yuba Bharati Krirangan yesterday to vent their ire.
Mohun Bagan, who have been without a trophy since 2009, have parted ways with eight coaches, including foreigners Bencherifa and Darby since season 2009-10 (see box).
In fact, after parting ways with Mohun Bagan, Bencherifa went on to win the I-League and the Federation Cup for Salgaocar as the Moroccan along with former defender Subrata Bhattacharya now have become top choices for the plum post by the supporters.
Veteran Chuni Goswami has openly called for the two names and said, "Subrata and Karim can make this team perform."
MOHUN BAGAN AND COACHES
2009-10: Karim Bencherifa, Satyajit Chatterjee and Biswajit Bhattacharya
2010-11: Stanley Rozario, Subhas Bhowmick
2011-12: Steve Darby, Subrata Bhattacharya and Prasanta Banerjee (TD & Coach)
2012-13: Santosh Kashyap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani