Sao Paulo World Cup stadium nears completion
Rio de Janeiro: Construction work on Sao Paulo`s Itaquerao World Cup football stadium has reached over 90 percent completion.
Brazilian constructor Odebrecht, who is responsible for the project, released a series of photos Friday showing the venue in the final phase of development, with the turf and most of the 68,000 seats already installed.
More than 1,500 workers are finishing work on the dressing rooms, bathrooms and stadium`s roof, Odebrecht said.
Itaquerao, also known as Arena Corinthians, will host the opening match of the World Cup June 12 and one of the semifinals.
According to Odebrecht, about 20,000 seats will be fitted into temporary stands to be removed after the tournament.
The stadium is on schedule to be ready by the end of December, in time for the deadline enforced by world football`s governing body, FIFA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets