Saprissa beat United Sikkim, to meet Prayag in semis
Kolkata: Costa Rican side Deportivo Saprissa defeated United Sikkim 3-1 in the last quarter-final league match from Group B in the 117th IFA Shield championship at Yuba Bharati Krirangan, here today.
Reaching the semi-final as toppers in the group with 7 points from three outings, Saprissa will face Group A runners up Prayag United in the last four stage on March 15.
Strong contender and city giants Mohun Bagan, runners-up in Group B, will meet arch rivals and Group A toppers East Bengal on March 17.
It was United Sikkim which took the lead first with Pablo Nuruddin scoring in 25th minute. But their joy was shortlived as Saprissa`s 2002 World Cupper Walter Centeno scored via penalty 12 minutes later. This was Centeno`s second goal in three games.
The foreign outfit, which beat Mohun Bagan 1-0 in their previous game, dominated the second half and pumped in two more goals within a span of eight minutes in last phase.
Soto and Acuno slotted home in the 80th and 88th minute respectively to propel Deportivo atop the table with seven points, one point better than Mohun Bagan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Russian GP: Nico Rosberg wins seventh race in succession as Lewis Hamilton recovers to second spot
- No need for cash; pay through mobile phone at Café Coffee Day now
- VVIP chopper scam: RSS mouthpiece dares Congress to reveal who's 'Signora Gandhi' mentioned in Italian court
- EPL: Anthony Martial strikes as Manchester United make Leicester City wait for title
- PM Modi visits Varanasi, launches 'e-boats' at Assi Ghat: In Pics