Scolari hints at Kaka recall
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has hinted at an international recall for former FIFA World Player of the Year Kaka by promising changes to his squad for upcoming friendlies against Italy and Russia.
Kaka was absent from the Selecao`s 1-2 loss to England at Wembley Stadium Feb 6 - Scolari`s first match in charge since taking over from sacked predecessor Mano Menezes, reports Xinhua.
But Scolari, who guided Brazil to the 2002 World Cup with Kaka in his squad during his first spell as national coach, admitted to erring with his team selection against England.
"I wasn`t impressed with the positioning of the players and a series of details," Scolari said Thursday.
In an indication that Kaka will be recalled, Scolari said players not featuring regularly for their clubs would not be ruled out of consideration.
"I am going to choose a team that I think is best for Brazil," the 64-year-old said. "I cannot make my judgments on what journalists write."
Kaka impressed in his return to the national team for the first time in two years in October last year, scoring in friendly victories against Japan and Iraq.
But the 30-year-old has been used sparingly by Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho this season and was an unused substitute in the club`s 3-1 Copa del Rey semifinal victory over Barcelona Tuesday.
Brazil will meet Italy in Geneva March 31 and Russia at Stamford Bridge in London four days later. Scolari will name his squad for the matches at a press conference in Rio de Janeiro Tuesday.
In-form Manchester United right-back Rafael da Silva is also expected to be given his third international cap by Scolari after being overlooked for the England match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!