Sepp Blatter condemns racist chants in Seville derby
Rome: FIFA president Sepp Blatter has said he was "sickened" to see some Real Betis supporters racially abuse their own player, Brazilian defender Paulao, in the Seville derby against Sevilla on Sunday.
Paulao appeared to have monkey chants aimed at him by sections of the travelling Betis support after being sent-off with Sevilla leading 1-0 just before half-time.
Sevilla went on to win the match 4-0.
"Sickened to learn of `fans` racially abusing a Real Betis player. I condemn their actions, which were seen on TV/online by millions," Blatter said on his official Twitter account.
"FIFA`s members approved a resolution at Congress in May to tackle discrimination. It`s time for tougher sanctions.
"I will say again: It`s a nonsense to fight racism with fines. This has to be tackled by all competition organisers."
Paulao didn`t comment on the alleged chants after the match, but rather spoke to the media to ask for forgiveness on the part of the fans and his teammates for being sent-off at such a crucial point in the game.
However, Betis also publicly condemned the incidents via their Twitter account saying they "condemn any violent or racist act directed towards one of their own players as much as an opponent."
The incident is not the first example of racism during a Liga match this season.
Last month two Elche fans were fined 4,000 euros ($5,400, £3,340) and banned from attending sporting events for a period of 12 months for racially abused Granada defender Allan-Romeo Nyom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon