Sepp Blatter condemns racist chants in Seville derby
Rome: FIFA president Sepp Blatter has said he was "sickened" to see some Real Betis supporters racially abuse their own player, Brazilian defender Paulao, in the Seville derby against Sevilla on Sunday.
Paulao appeared to have monkey chants aimed at him by sections of the travelling Betis support after being sent-off with Sevilla leading 1-0 just before half-time.
Sevilla went on to win the match 4-0.
"Sickened to learn of `fans` racially abusing a Real Betis player. I condemn their actions, which were seen on TV/online by millions," Blatter said on his official Twitter account.
"FIFA`s members approved a resolution at Congress in May to tackle discrimination. It`s time for tougher sanctions.
"I will say again: It`s a nonsense to fight racism with fines. This has to be tackled by all competition organisers."
Paulao didn`t comment on the alleged chants after the match, but rather spoke to the media to ask for forgiveness on the part of the fans and his teammates for being sent-off at such a crucial point in the game.
However, Betis also publicly condemned the incidents via their Twitter account saying they "condemn any violent or racist act directed towards one of their own players as much as an opponent."
The incident is not the first example of racism during a Liga match this season.
Last month two Elche fans were fined 4,000 euros ($5,400, £3,340) and banned from attending sporting events for a period of 12 months for racially abused Granada defender Allan-Romeo Nyom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral