Sevilla gifts hand Bilbao crucial win
Madrid: Athletic Bilbao ended a run of four successive league losses with a vital 2-0 home win over European rivals Sevilla at San Mames.
A disastrous own goal from Argentine centre-back Federico Fazio on 66 minutes put Bilbao ahead before Andoni Iraola converted an 88th minute penalty after French defender Julien Escude committed a needless foul.
Bilbao moved a point above Espanyol, who lost 1-0 at promoted Levante on Sunday, into fifth place.
Sevilla, fourth last season, trail Bilbao by three points along with Atletico Madrid as a host of teams tussle for a top six finish.
Sevilla coach Gregorio Manzano had warned of the threat from Bilbao`s striker Fernando Llorente and the Spanish international almost scored in the fifth minute with goalkeeper Javi Varas stopping his header with a fine save.
Varas was then called upon to stop a header from Javi Martinez on 23 minutes as hosts Bilbao started the stronger.
It was a physical encounter between two of the biggest sides in the Spanish top-flight and Llorente was marshalled by the towering Fazio.
Llorente lost his marker to head wide on the 38 minutes and was visibly annoyed with himself for missing the chance.
Sevilla had been toothless but almost broke the deadlock early in the second half with Jesus Navas` cross headed just wide by Freddy Kanoute.
It took a mistake after 66 minutes to decide the game with Fazio getting his feet in a tangle as he tried to clear a whipped-in cross from the left and the Argentine deflected the ball into his own net.
Escude gifted Bilbao the second goal they craved with a reckless tackle in the penalty area two minutes from time and Iraola struck the penalty to clinch the points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview