Sheffield Wednesday threaten life bans for unruly fans
London: Sheffield Wednesday will give life bans to any fans found to be involved in the crowd trouble that followed Sunday`s 2-2 draw at home to Crystal Palace and condemned the club to England`s third tier.
South Yorkshire Police confirmed eight people had been arrested and released on police bail for public order offences both inside and outside Wednesday`s Hillsborough ground.
"Sheffield Wednesday will support the authorities accordingly and any individuals proved to have behaved inappropriately will be placed on lifetime club bans," a statement said on Monday.
Fans invaded the pitch after the match ended.
Crystal Palace player Clint Hill was quoted in British media as saying he had been punched by Wednesday fans although South Yorkshire police said no complaint had been received from the London club who stayed in the Championship thanks to their point.
Police said they would study CCTV footage of the incidents and would robustly pursue any other fans involved in disorder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre