Six arrested in England for fixing football matches
London: The National Crime Agency (NCA) has arrested six people, including three footballers, on suspicion of fixing English football matches.
It is reported that the games involved were at levels no higher than the Football Conference, the fifth tier of the sport in England, reports Xinhua.
"Six men have been arrested across the country as part of an NCA investigation into alleged football match fixing," the NCA said in a statement. "The focus of the operation is a suspected international illegal betting syndicate."
Premier League matches are not reported to be under investigation, and the Football League, which runs the three professional divisions below the Premier League, said it had not been contacted by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Paswan mocks possibility of Nitish becoming PM, says post not vacant for 15 years
- Kolkata wears forlorn look on poll day, less traffic on street
- Seven silent culprits of hair loss!
- Mumbai civic body workers have offered to pay my fine: Kanhaiya Kumar
- Uttarakhand fire: Rajnath speaks to Governor, assures all assistance