Sneijder in line for major trophy number four
Cape Town: Netherlands playmaker Wesley Sneijder is on course to clinch every trophy he played for this season after the Dutch beat Uruguay in the first World Cup semi-final on Tuesday.
Sneijder won the Italian double and Champions League with his club, Inter Milan, and now is set to feature in the World Cup final and could even end the tournament as top scorer.
"This is a great achievement and wonderful thing for the Netherlands, winning six matches in a row (at the World Cup finals) and now we have five days to prepare us for one more 90 minutes," Sneijder told reporters.
"This is so special. I experienced it already with Inter, playing a final is special and you must savour the moment as it doesn`t happen very often.”
"I have told my team to savour it and enjoy it then give it all you`ve got," he added.
The Dutch had a tough second half after Uruguay replied to Giovanni Van Bronckhorst`s opening goal by Diego Forlan just before the break but a tactical change effectively settled the match.
With Rafael van der Vaart beside him, Sneijder moved forward and restored the lead 20 minutes from time with a deflected shot, his fifth of the tournament which levelled him with Spain`s David Villa.
"It was a tough match and at the end we made it unnecessarily difficult but we won and that was what it was all about," said Sneijder.
"When you get in such a situation you just have to shoot and if you are lucky the ball goes in," he said of his goal.
"Wesley Sneijder plays a very important role," said coach Bert van Marwijk. "But it is also very important that everyone on the bench can play as well."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble