Spurs stun 10-man Dnipro, Porto and Napoli win
London: Emmanuel Adebayor scored twice in four minutes as Tottenham Hotspur overturned a two-goal aggregate deficit to beat 10-man Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 3-2 over two legs and move into the last 16 of the Europa League on Thursday.
It was a painful return to London for Tottenham`s former coach Juande Ramos whose side took the lead on the night through Roman Zozulya, who was sent off after Christian Eriksen levelled and Adebayor`s quickfire double then sent Spurs through.
Porto`s Nabil Ghilas scored in the 86th minute to secure a 3-3 draw against Eintracht Frankfurt with the Portuguese side going through on away goals, while Napoli and Ludogorets also came out on top in thrilling second leg ties.
The Serie A side scored two late goals to beat Swansea City 3-1 on the night and aggregate and Bulgarian side Ludogorets ousted Lazio thanks to an 88th-minute goal from Juninho Quixada that gave them a 3-3 draw and 4-3 aggregate success.
Juventus comfortably beat Trabzonspor 2-0 to progress after winning by the same scoreline in Italy last week while Benfica scored three goals in nine second-half minutes to beat PAOK 3-0 and 4-0 on aggregate.
Salzburg, who won all six group stage matches, completed a resounding 6-1 aggregate thrashing of Ajax Amsterdam, winning 3-1 at home after inflicting a bruising defeat last week.
Spanish club Real Betis secured a 3-1 aggregate win over Rubin Kazan by winning 2-0 away from home with Nono and Ruben Castro getting the goals.
Sevilla beat Slovenian outfit Maribor 2-1 with goals from Jose Antonio Reyes and Kevin Gameiro to go through 4-3 on aggregate while Viktoria Plzen beat Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1, going through 3-2 over the two legs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!
- Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim describes West Bengal's Garden Reach as 'mini-pakistan', draws flak
- Top five health benefits of raspberries!