Struggling Flamengo sack coach Andrade, team officials
Brasilia: Brazilian champions Flamengo sacked coach Andrade and two club officials on Friday, the three men falling victim to the team`s disappointing Libertadores Cup campaign.
Flamengo scraped into the knockout phased of South America`s elite club competition on Thursday when, having failed to win their group, they finished sixth and last among the best second-placed teams.
"Some things in the football department remained unsubstantial. I wasn`t comfortable with the way the football was being run and I want to feel joy and pleasure at being here," club president Patricia Amorim said.
"I waited for us to pass to the next phase of the Libertadores, since those people deserve to leave by the club`s front door. After all, they gave the club a national title after 17 years," she told a news conference at the club`s training ground.
Amorim said she would name a new coach over the weekend.
Former Brazil and Flamengo player Andrade took charge last June and became the first black coach to win the Brazilian championship, leading the country`s most popular team on a brilliant charge to the title in the final weeks.
This season, results have been disappointing with Flamengo losing the Carioca (Rio) state championship title to Botafogo that they had held for three years.
They were not helped by Brazil striker Adriano`s indifferent form, minor injuries that saw him play only 13 of Flamengo`s 24 matches this year and an apparent resurgence of his personal problems.
Local media said Flamengo would like to appoint former player Leonardo, AC Milan`s coach, as their football director.
Andrade is the 12th coach to lose his job among the 20 top flight clubs in Brazil this year.
Flamengo meet fellow Brazilians Corinthians in the first knockout round of the Libertadores Cup with the first leg at the Maracana next Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25