Sunil Chhetri keen to leverage on Westwood`s experience
Bangalore: Indian football skipper Sunil Chhetri, who has signed for newly unveiled Bengaluru Football Club (BFC), is betting on the club`s English manager Ashley Westwood`s leadership qualities for making an impact in the I-league season.
"BFC is not a fancied team but we could make an impact if we put to good use the tips given by Ashley (Westwood). Anything is possible. We are ready to put up a fight," Chhetri told reporters here.
"Ashley was a player himself and has a huge sense of football and wants to work really hard," he added.
Chhetri, the Delhi-born striker, also appears to count on the striking similarities between BFC and European clubs, where diet and fitness are given paramount importance.
"Have you heard of heart-rate monitors in India? This is all normal European stuff," he said.
Chhetri said he has never heard of anything of players paying fines for coming late for the training.
"Every player reports an hour-and-a-half early and have breakfast together," he said.
The 28-year-old said pressure has never taken lead over his performance as he revelled in such circumstances.
"I shut myself off because no matter if I am under pressure I am just going to perform the way I would," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi