Superstars XI match put off
Kolkata: The football-crazy city`s dream date with Pele and other former World Cup stars on January 23 was put off because of "unavoidable circumstances", the organisers said on Sunday.
Amid much fanfare it had been announced that Pele would return to Kolkata as an ambassador of Superstars XI also boasting compatriot and two-time World Cup winner Cafu.
The Superstars XI were scheduled to play an exhibitional friendly against an Indian Dream XI led by Bhaichung Bhutia at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan and the ticket sale of the event had already started.
The Delhi-based organisers, JPR Events, in a press statement, said they would announce a new date by next week.
But, according to insiders, it`s unlikely that the city would get to witness the 71-year-old Brazilian legend more than three decades after he had enthralled a capacity crowd touring with New York Cosmos.
"We regret to announce due to unavoidable circumstances the match originally scheduled in Kolkata on January 23 has been postponed to a later date. The new date will be informed to you in the next week," the organisers said.
The organisers further said that they would organize another match between a still-to-be-named World Star XI and Sikkim United XI in Gangtok on January 22.
"However we will still be having a match in Gangtok, which will feature some of the players originally scheduled to make the trip who will be joined by some former Indian stars."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25