UEFA Champions League Preview: Paris Saint-Germain vs Barcelona
Paris: Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta is unavailable to face Barcelona at Parc des Princes after suffering a groin injury in training.
Midfielder Lucas Moura and striker Ezequiel Lavezzi will be recalled to the side after being rested for Friday`s win over Montpellier, while Marco Verratti and Zlatan Ibrahimovic return from European bans.
Italy international Verratti is expected to get the nod alongside Blaise Matuidi in central midfield ahead of Clement Chantome and David Beckham.
Barcelona duo Xavi and Jordi Alba have shaken off thigh injuries that forced them to miss the 2-2 draw at Celta Vigo.
Javier Mascherano, Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta and David Villa were all rested on the bench for that game and could return to the starting line-up.
Defenders Carles Puyol (knee) and Adriano (hamstring) and striker Pedro (suspension) are sidelined, but goalkeeper Victor Valdes returns from a domestic ban.
• Paris Saint-Germain are on a 23-match unbeaten home run in European competition stretching back to a 4-2 defeat against Hapoel Tel-Aviv in the Uefa Cup group stage in November 2006.
• Les Parisiens are looking to reach their second Champions League semi-final. Their only previous quarter-final appearance was also against Barcelona in 1994-95, and it ended in a 3-2 aggregate victory.
• Zlatan Ibrahimovic made 29 Liga appearances for Barcelona in the 2009-10 season, scoring 16 goals.
• Barcelona have only won two of their last eight away matches in all competitions (W2, D3, L3).
• The Catalan giants have won their last six Champions League quarter-finals and their last defeat at this stage came against Juventus in 2002-03.
• Barcelona`s overall away record against French opposition is W3, D2, L2. Their most recent visit to France resulted in a 1-1 draw against Olympique Lyonnais in the 2008-09 Champions League round of 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- School dropout biggest crisis in India, says Singapore Deputy PM
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index