UEFA Champions League Preview: Real Madrid vs Galatasary
Madrid: Real Madrid have a fully-fit squad at their disposal for the Champions League quarter-final first-leg meeting with Galatasaray at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Defenders Raphael Varane (back) and Fabio Coentrao (foot) have recovered from injuries and are set to start, while Diego Lopez is expected to keep his place in goal ahead of the fit-again Iker Casillas.
Xabi Alonso, Sami Khedira, Mesut Ozil and Angel Di Maria should all return to the starting line-up after being rested on the bench for Saturday`s 1-1 draw at Zaragoza.
Galatasaray boss Fatih Terim could field the same starting XI that overcame Schalke in the round of 16 second leg in Germany.
The 59-year-old has a virtually full-strength squad to choose from, with Tomas Ujfalusi (knee) the only absentee.
• Real Madrid are on a 37-match unbeaten run at the Santiago Bernabeu in all competitions, stretching back to January 2012 (W30, D7).
• Los Merengues have won 13 and lost just one of their 16 European home matches under Jose Mourinho.
• Madrid have scored 18 goals in the Champions League this season, the joint highest total along with Bayern Munich.
• Galatasaray have won 10 of their last 18 away outings in European competition, losing just two.
• The Turkish giants have emerged victorious in two of their three previous meetings with Real Madrid, including a 2-1 Uefa Super Cup triumph in 2000-01.
• Burak Yilmaz is the joint top scorer in this season`s Champions League with eight goals, level with Cristiano Ronaldo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?