Upbeat Mohun Bagan up against Mumbai FC
Kalyani: Mohun Bagan will look at the morale-boosting 5-1 win against Sporting Clube de Goa in the previous round when they take on Mumbai FC in the rescheduled 14th round match of the I-League football at the Kalyani Stadium here on Wednesday.
The success of the lethal attacking pair of Odafa Okolie and Tolgay Ozbey - who scored three and two in realising the big win hardly two days ago - is doubling the confidence of their Moroccan coach Karim Bencherifa.
"They always had good understanding and that has been proved once again," Karim said about the two strikers.
"We earned successive wins in our last two outings and that has enhanced the confidence of the players. But have to keep working hard as we are yet to be safely out of the relegation zone," Karim said ahead of his team`s meeting against Mumbai FC.
Mohun Bagan are riding high on confidence, having beaten two Goa heavyweights Dempo and Sporting Clube.
"Our objective will be to clear out of the relegation zone and to realize that we need more good wins," Karim said looking at Mohun Bagan`s current position.
Mohun Bagan, who have been asked to start afresh after being penalized of all their points earned in the first 10 rounds, are placed 13th with 16 points from 19 matches while Mumbai FC are sixth with 30 points from 22 rounds.
"Our opponents are a strong side and have done well so far. But I would like to focus on our own game and hope we play true to our potential," Karim said.
"They have a good attack with strikers like Odafa and Tolgay. We have a plan in place for them and will try to stick to it," said the Mumbai FC coach Khalid Jamil.
Mumbai FC beat Air India in the previous round after a spate of losses and draws and Jamil banked on the latest success of his team in hoping for a repeat of the positive result.
"Mohun Bagan have the home advantage and are a strong side but we hope to continue with the momentum and give a good fight to our opponents," Jamil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir