US Olympic soccer dreams crushed by El Salvador equaliser
Nashville: The United States will not feature in the Olympic soccer tournament in London after surprisingly missing out to Canada and El Salvador in the group stage of qualifying on home soil.
Having already lost to Canada, the U.S. needed to beat El Salvador in Nashville in their Group A encounter on Monday and were moments away from completing the task.
The U.S. had roared back from a 2-1 deficit to take a 3-2 lead, thanks to German-born forward Terrence Boyd`s second strike of the match and a Joe Corona goal just four minutes apart midway through the second half.
The home fans` celebrations were silenced five minutes into injury time, however, when Jaime Alas scored for El Salvador to snatch a last four berth at the expense of their opponents.
Cuba, who drew with Canada earlier on Monday, were also eliminated.
Group B action concludes on Tuesday with Mexico having already claimed one of the berths and Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago and Panama battling for the last spot in the semi-finals to be played in Kansas City.
The two finalists from the CONCACAF region will advance to London regardless of the result.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside