Victory a big step forward, says Buffon
Milan: Gianluigi Buffon believes Juventus` 2-0 victory over Lazio was a big step forward for the club in retaining their league title.
Two goals from Arturo Vidal saw the Bianconeri move 11 points clear of Napoli at the top of Serie A and leave the reigning champions needing just another seven to seal a second successive crown.
“I will not even pronounce the word championship," Buffon said to reporters after the game.
“(But) I can say that today we have made a big step forward. We had to absorb elimination in the Champions League, which was deserved, but it has still come as a surprise to us.
“There are still seven points to win by the end of the season. If we can achieve this goal, it will be another great accomplishment.”
Buffon was also quick to give credit to Lazio, who sit in sixth spot after the loss and have a fight on their hands to secure European football next season.
He added: “I went to say goodbye to the Lazio fans after the game because they have always shown me great respect. They deserve it.
“Tonight we did well because it is not easy to win at the Olimpico. Lazio is always a tough opponent.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes