Victory a big step forward, says Buffon
Milan: Gianluigi Buffon believes Juventus` 2-0 victory over Lazio was a big step forward for the club in retaining their league title.
Two goals from Arturo Vidal saw the Bianconeri move 11 points clear of Napoli at the top of Serie A and leave the reigning champions needing just another seven to seal a second successive crown.
“I will not even pronounce the word championship," Buffon said to reporters after the game.
“(But) I can say that today we have made a big step forward. We had to absorb elimination in the Champions League, which was deserved, but it has still come as a surprise to us.
“There are still seven points to win by the end of the season. If we can achieve this goal, it will be another great accomplishment.”
Buffon was also quick to give credit to Lazio, who sit in sixth spot after the loss and have a fight on their hands to secure European football next season.
He added: “I went to say goodbye to the Lazio fans after the game because they have always shown me great respect. They deserve it.
“Tonight we did well because it is not easy to win at the Olimpico. Lazio is always a tough opponent.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends