Victory a big step forward, says Buffon
Milan: Gianluigi Buffon believes Juventus` 2-0 victory over Lazio was a big step forward for the club in retaining their league title.
Two goals from Arturo Vidal saw the Bianconeri move 11 points clear of Napoli at the top of Serie A and leave the reigning champions needing just another seven to seal a second successive crown.
“I will not even pronounce the word championship," Buffon said to reporters after the game.
“(But) I can say that today we have made a big step forward. We had to absorb elimination in the Champions League, which was deserved, but it has still come as a surprise to us.
“There are still seven points to win by the end of the season. If we can achieve this goal, it will be another great accomplishment.”
Buffon was also quick to give credit to Lazio, who sit in sixth spot after the loss and have a fight on their hands to secure European football next season.
He added: “I went to say goodbye to the Lazio fans after the game because they have always shown me great respect. They deserve it.
“Tonight we did well because it is not easy to win at the Olimpico. Lazio is always a tough opponent.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016