Vilanova`s absence hit us hard, claims Messi
Barcelona: Lionel Messi has admitted it was hard for Barcelona to cope during Tito Vilanova`s enforced absence this season.
Vilanova was away from the Blaugrana bench for over three months after suffering a cancer relapse at the end of 2012 and the Argentine was thrilled that his side were able to clinch the Liga title despite the absence of their first-team coach.
"I was very happy. It is a very important title for what the Liga means, for the rivals we have, like Real Madrid, one of the best in the world," he said in an interview with Argentine journalists after his side`s title triumph.
"The truth is it has not been easy because we came from a big change, from the farewell to [Pep] Guardiola. When Tito took over it was great because he practically changed nothing.
"But when he left himself, we noticed the change, not because [assistant coach Jordi] Roura and the others couldn`t do it but because we lacked our first-team coach, he who had led us from day one. It was not the same.
"A year is a long time and to finish celebrating is very nice."
Messi went on to stress there is no need for panic at Camp Nou following their Champions League exit at the hands of Bayern Munich and insisted he has no plans to move elsewhere in Europe in his career.
"You cannot always win," he said of the defeat to the German champions. "For years we have been playing in the same way and coaches and rivals have studied us. But we cannot go crazy because of what happened this year. We cannot change Barcelona`s style because this has always characterised us. We have to be calm and think about next year.
"All I think about is staying at Barcelona until the end. I would like to play in Argentina as I have said before but I will not play for another team in Europe."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India