Wanyama seals Southampton move
London: Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama has joined English football club Southampton on a four-year deal worth 12.5 million pounds.
The 22-year-old Kenyan international was a big hit in Scotland and was being monitored by numerous Premier League clubs. The Saints, though, won the race and unveiled the player at St. Mary`s stadium on Thursday.
"#SaintsFC is delighted to announce the signing of @VictorWanyama from @celticfc on a four-year deal," Southampton’s official Twitter feed read on Thursday.
Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino told the club’s official website: "I am very pleased to have secured the signing of Victor because we are a big admirer of his talents and he will fit in well to the team here at Southampton.
The fact that a lot of top European clubs were also keen to sign him shows what an attractive prospect Southampton Football Club is to a player who had his pick of the teams in England and abroad.
I`ve watched him perform at the top level in the Champions League, and I believe that he will be a valuable addition to our Premier League squad for the season ahead."
A statement on Celtic’s official website read: "He leaves Celtic with the best wishes and support of everyone at the club as our own preparations continue for the new season."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad