Wanyama seals Southampton move
London: Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama has joined English football club Southampton on a four-year deal worth 12.5 million pounds.
The 22-year-old Kenyan international was a big hit in Scotland and was being monitored by numerous Premier League clubs. The Saints, though, won the race and unveiled the player at St. Mary`s stadium on Thursday.
"#SaintsFC is delighted to announce the signing of @VictorWanyama from @celticfc on a four-year deal," Southampton’s official Twitter feed read on Thursday.
Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino told the club’s official website: "I am very pleased to have secured the signing of Victor because we are a big admirer of his talents and he will fit in well to the team here at Southampton.
The fact that a lot of top European clubs were also keen to sign him shows what an attractive prospect Southampton Football Club is to a player who had his pick of the teams in England and abroad.
I`ve watched him perform at the top level in the Champions League, and I believe that he will be a valuable addition to our Premier League squad for the season ahead."
A statement on Celtic’s official website read: "He leaves Celtic with the best wishes and support of everyone at the club as our own preparations continue for the new season."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling